Friday, August 20, 2010

Safe from it!

Remember that childhood game of "Tag" that we played... and whoever 'It' was was chasing you, but you could run to "base" so 'It' couldn't get you?

I read a verse today that so reminded me of that visual. It says, “The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous runs to it and is safe.” ~ Proverbs 18:10

The righteous RUNS to it.... and....is....SAFE!

I love that!

Safe!

Safe... I looked up the word in the Hebrew. I love how it's defined: to be high, to be inaccessibly high, to be too high for capture, to be set securely on high.

Woe! Inaccessibly high! Not accessible to the 'It' that's chasing you! Not capable of being reached. Set securely on high... thus, TOO HIGH FOR CAPTURE!

Is that an incredible reality, or what?

The righteous run to where for their safety? It's simple. They run to the name! They simply run to the "name of the Lord!"

It's His name that is our strong tower! 'BASE' to those that run to it! Oh my goodness, I love that! It's His name that is the base where we're safe!

Have you got an 'It' chasing you?

If so, what's your 'It'?

Someone close to me is very much being chased by an 'It.' Her 'It' is Divorce.

Another is being chased by Cancer.

Another a Drug.

Another a Drink.

Another Financial Disaster.

Another Infidelity.

Another Fear.

Another Insecurity.

Another Guilt.

Another Shame.

Another Sadness.

Another Sorrow.

Another Grief.

Another Regret.

Another Temptation.

Another Devastation.

Another Doubt.

Another Hopelessness.

Another Unbelief.

Another Pride.

Another Financial Gain....


The list is endless..... I've got an It of my own!

'It 'comes in all forms. And 'It' is after everybody! Everybody's being chased by something. Even when we've been deceived by 'It' and we can't see 'It' as our enemy.

Where do you run to when the storms come? Where do you run to when It is chasing you? When he's prowling around like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour? (1 Pet 5:8)

No worry! We have a "strong tower." You know!

Ahh... sing with me!

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name.

(Refrain:)
On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness seems to hide His face,
I rest on His unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

(Refrain)

His oath, His covenant, His blood,
Support me in the whelming flood.
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my Hope and Stay.

(Refrain)

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh may I then in Him be found.
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.

(Refrain)



This 'Tower of Refuge' stands on the rocks in Douglas Bay as a haven for sailors in distress.

It was when Sir William Hillary took part in a rescue for a Steam Packet vessel and was washed overboard that he realised the coast was too far to swim to, yet a place was needed for sailors to wait for rescue. His dream for this Tower of Refuge was completed in 1832. The tower was kept well stocked with fresh water and bread ready to be offered to those that needed it as shelter from the weather and sea.
Many ships wrecked on the rocks which can't be seen at high tide. Dozens of sailors lost their lives when they were agonisingly close to the safety of the shore. This Tower was erected so that shipwrecked sailors could have somewhere to shelter until a rescue could take place in calmer conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment