Sunday, January 8, 2012

Who are You? Show me more of Your "Who"-ness!

.
I posted on this subject just recently on December 9th, 2011. I have two reasons for posting about it again. 

  1. Because I've had my 2011 year's posts already printed and bound in a book. Since then, I have additional things that I'd like to add to it; and sadly, the new information will miss last year's publishing. :/ So, I've opted to put it here a second time, in order for the added stuff to make it into next year's printing. 
  2. I've edited a bit and corrected some spelling, etc. Mostly, I wanted to tell more of the story.

"Did God really say?"

I've been waiting for a miracle. And I've been waiting a very long time for it. I've been waiting for God to heal a little girl since before she was born when we found out there was something wrong. I've not only been waiting with hope, but I've been waiting with what I have earnestly believed is a knowing. God's outdone Himself with this. In truth, it's more like it's His hope (or rather, knowing) that He's put into my hands.... and that He keeps His hands cupped around mine for its safe keeping. 

Her name is Mikayla. Her name means: "Who is like God?" The only times the "Who is like God" exclamations are said in the Scriptures are in times when God has done something so phenomenally unexplainable that no other anybody or god can do. "Who is like God" statements exclaim our wonder of Him and all that He does or is doing or is going to do.   

  • "Who is like unto Thee, O LORD, among the gods? Who is like Thee, glorious in holiness, fearful in praises, doing wonders?" ~ Exo 15:11
  • "My whole being will exclaim, "Who is like You, O LORD?" Psalm 35:10
  • "Your righteousness reaches to the skies, O God, You Who have done great things. Who, O God, is like You?" Psalm 71:19
  • "Your way, O God, is in the sanctuary [in holiness, away from sin and guilt]. Who is a great God like our God? You are the God Who performs miracles; You display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:13-14
  • "For who in the skies above can compare with the LORD? Who is like the LORD among the heavenly beings? In the council of the holy ones God is greatly feared; He is more awesome than all who surround Him. O LORD God Almighty, Who is like You? You are mighty, O LORD, and Your faithfulness surrounds You." Psalm 89:6-8
  • "The LORD is exalted over all the nations, His glory above the heavens. Who is like the LORD our God, the One Who sits enthroned on high, Who stoops down to look on the heavens and the earth.," Psalm 113:4-6
It's a very long story. One that I've got volumes on logged from the past. Every now and then I write Mikayla's daddy to share what has happened. Tonight was one of those times. I wrote him a letter. You'll find it below. And following my letter, you'll find both his and my responses. I wrote on Jan 8, 2012 at 9:29 PM:

Dear Jon,

I apologize for not waiting on you this morning after church as you told me to. I wouldn't have minded, but I had two guests waiting for me.... and I hated making them stand any longer. Instead of me rewriting what happened and what I wanted to share with you, I will simply copy and paste the blog that I posted that tells about it below. Mostly, I am showing you another glimpse of God doing what God seems to do... even in my faithlessness, He tries to keep me faithful. Every single time (I mean, EVERY SINGLE TIME!) that I try to drop it, God makes sure to give it to me again before it totally hits the ground. It simply blows my mind every time. I don't know why. But even after all the times that He's done it, I am never expecting Him to do it again. It takes me by surprise again, as if He's doing it for the very first time. Jon, with Mikayla? God won't let me give up! 

Here's what I had written:

Friday, December 9, 2011

"Did God really say?"

Interesting! Oh my, and superbly so! I don't know what prompted my thoughts to even go there. My mind went to a thing that I have been believing God to do for years! I mean, it's been a very long time! And with each day that passes, the possibility looks even more improbable and impossible. It was something that I was once so sure about! Something that I knew that I knew that I knew! Something that I felt God Himself say to me in His Word, and all kinds of other places, over and over and over and over and over again! And it seemed that every time He'd tell me, I wasn't even looking for it. I wasn't even asking. And a zillion times throughout all those years, He'd do something to bring it up and confirm it again right out of the blue.... kind of like a peek-a-boo! :) 

As I was painting this face of mine this morning, I was listening to a sermon. The subject was on storms. A perfect subject for my 2011 year's season. I was hearing the message loudly. I could relate to the throes of the wind that blew, and all of the wind's destruction. I mean, I was really into this lesson. I was feeling it! I'd been living it. Yet for some odd reason my mind turned right in the middle of what I was hearing, and the reminder of that impossible thing that I had been believing God for years to do that He hadn't done yet, popped into my brain. I paused the lesson to sit there and ponder upon it a minute. And that's when I said to Him, "I don't know anymore, Lord. I just don't know. I'm not as sure about it as I used to be." And I quit talking. But my mind still wondered.... And I remember thinking, "It's okay, God, if it's not as I thought it was" (as if He needed my permission not to do what I once believed He might.)

Within seconds... (and I do mean, within seconds!).... without me having a clue that God was planning on addressing my wonder! Having no inkling of an idea of all that God was fixing to answer! He said to me (in the voice of the one teaching the lesson that I had just pressed again to listen to, not having any idea what would be on it for me to hear).... Here's what I heard (mind you, the subject I had been listening to was on STORMS! and how storms overtake our lives. That's what I thought He'd be addressing, NOT the thing that I had just said and nonchalantly put before Him.)....

(Now don't forget what I'd just said to God).... Immediately, when I pressed play, the teacher points out what God has said in Acts 27:25. Shall I share it with you? "So keep your courage, dear brothers, for I have faith in God that it will happen to me just as He told me." Wooo! Powerful enough! But then she says (and I quote),  "Now I'm about to say something to some that is new, this is going to lose you for a second. But let me talk to the others that have been around for a long time for just a minute. Some of us have gotten a clear word from God that we have given up on. It may have been five years ago. It may have been ten years ago. What did He say to you? I've come to ask you today, What did God tell you? Did you know at the ... I mean, did you know that you knew? Did you get a confirmation? My guess is that for many of you in this room that got a clear word from God, that every time you turned around God used something else to confirm it. Am I speaking to anybody here? Then, I'm going to ask you a question: Do you still believe Him for that word? Or have you given up on it? Because He's said, you take Me at My word and you believe that what I have said will come to pass! Luke 1:45 (MY SCRIPTURE!!! One of the very ones that He gave me eons ago about this very matter!), "Bless is she [not he! I love that He says "she"!].... Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished"!!!!! Someone has come this very night just to hear from God that He is still going to do what He told you He was going to do. Do not give up! It is a matter of timing............................"

Well........................... do I feel spoken to or what? Do I feel I just heard a fresh word from God about an old one, or what? I said to Him, "I'm not sure, Lord"?????? Well, evidently, the Lord is sure! And He is wanting to make a very loud and vivid point to remind me of it!

"Did God really say?" (Big smile!) Yes! I can truly say that He's said! He still speaks. And after He's said, He's really, really, really good at often saying again after He's said it.

Thank You, Lord, today for re-saying to me! I believe!!!! How could I not continue to after the so many times that You've said it? I love how You're Faithful even in my sometimes weeble-wobbling unfaithfulness. Oh, how I love Your Word..... and Your Word that keeps on saying! Your Word that accomplishes what You sent it forth to do. I so love that You speak! And I love, that despite our doubt, You keep right on speaking it!

Next Day (This was later added in the comments to the post): December 10, 2011...... Now, to add to what I've just written.... Just in case I question what God's said and the volume in which He meant to say it. Let me share the two emailed verses in two different emails that I received in my email this very next morning as my "verse for the day". Mind you, I only get two. (I'm just saying, I couldn't make this up!)

The first: "Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished" (Luke 1:45)! Woe! He just said this to me yesterday! When He says and then keeps on saying..... wow, I'd say that it's a good time to LISTEN to Him!

The second: "God can do anything!" (Luke 1:37 ERV) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do believe He might be adding to that statement, and who am I to dare to question it?

Random? Ironic? Coincidental? Just a fluke? Just some happening? Indeed, I think not! I think God's got a point to make..... and that He's truly just made it!

___________________________________

John writes back to me on Sun, Jan 8, 2012 @ 5:17 PM:

Dear Sharon,

It's okay that you had to leave; I understand that under the circumstances it wasn't convenient to do so. Thank you very much for sharing your stories with me. I don't believe in coincidences. I believe God was communicating with you in a powerful way. Contrast Mary's belief to Zachariah's doubt and notice the difference. He had asked for a son long ago and had probably long since quit praying for one. And yet, Gabriel says that Zachariah's prayer has been heard and promises that it will be answered according to his heart's desire. He struggled to believe. Perhaps because he has given up all hope that his prayer would be / could be answered? In contrast, Mary accepts Gabriel's word and submits to God's decision, even though she cannot figure the logistics. Thanks for the reminder to keep believing and praying for Mikayla. We do believe that with God all things are possible.

God give you joy!
Jon
____________________________________

I respond to his reply on Sun, Jan 8, 2012 @ 5:22 PM:

WOW! HUGE comparison between Zechariah and Mary! A contrast that I'd never thought of in such a way before.

Who is like God! May He show us more of His "Who"-ness! :)

____________________________

And Jon shoots back a reply: YES!!!!
____________________________

Who is like You, O God! Who are You? SHOW us, Lord, more of Your "Who"-ness!
.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I had forgotten all of this. I am re-reading this on this date of January 6, 2013.. which reminded me of almost the very same thing happening all over again on November 28, 2012. Turn the pages and look it up... it is worth the trouble for the amazement! Woe, I cannot even begin to count the times that God continues to do this to me...

    ReplyDelete