Monday, April 26, 2010

Ahh... while we lay sleeping!


I must have gone to bed again thinking of those men in the prison that I just recently visited. I do know I prayed for them before my body fell asleep. Then I woke in the middle of the night. Excited! Feeling (without asking) that God had given me a picture!

You remember when King Saul was seeking David's life in 1 Samuel 22 because of his jealousy of him? Do you remember the Adullam Cave he fled to in hopes to get away from him in hopes to stay alive?

I've always loved the 2nd verse of that chapter because we're told of the men that gathered with him there.... which just happen to be the men that David builded his army from. The verse says, "And every one that was in distress, and every one that was in debt, and every one that was discontented, gathered themselves unto him; and he became a captain over them: and there were with him about four hundred men."

The Message simplies it for us this way, "So David got away and escaped to the Cave of Adullam. When his brothers and others associated with his family heard where he was, they came down and joined him. Not only that, but all who were down on their luck came around—losers and vagrants and misfits of all sorts. David became their leader. There were about four hundred in all."

Wow!

The mighty men of valor that made up David's new army were family that gathered with him. Men that were in distress. Those indebted (I suppose both in what they owed monetarily... and maybe too those indebted because of sin?). Those discontented. Those down on their luck, losers and vagrants and misfits of all sorts.

Hmmmm....

Could that be a picture of the guys that was starring back at me on Friday as I was starring and talking to them trying to encourage them to live as mighty warriors for our Lord?

I loved it! I loved the reminder! I felt God renewed and flourished my hope for them! It's made me want to pray harder! For we need an army of men fighting for Him in His Kingdom and against the evil that's so prevails here upon this earthly soil.

3 comments:

  1. Sharon! I have seen your "skin bag for Jesus" tag a few times on the LPM blog, and out of curiosity I clicked through to find out just who this skin bag is! And I am humbled, and impressed, and any number of other things are going on in my brain as I think of the tremendous way God has used you in such a profound ministry. You clearly seek God in all you do, and He will bless you for that! I really loved the story of your pink dress in Vegas & how you eventually realized that you were wearing just what you were supposed to wear, light-up shoes and all! God's sense of humor and His way of honoring us in spite of our insecurities is so beautiful! Keep it up, girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... you two girls sure know how to make another girl's day! Ya'll both just made mine!

    And Tami, you've made me want to drag my light-ups back out and prance around wearing feathers and playing dress-up again awhile. You're priceless to have read so much! It's sometimes fun to dress these 'skin bags' up! Your comment made me laugh so hard! You seem such fun that I wish you had been there to enjoy the moment with me. You sound like the kind that would. Hmmm... now I only wonder, what would you have worn?

    You're both precious! God did good when He created you two! May you wear Him well and Display Him to all who see! :)

    ReplyDelete