Sunday, November 6, 2011

How to build a god.

.
This did not originate with me. I suppose, its too profound for my feeble and elementary way of thinking. But wow, when I saw this again (I quoted the words from the video below), I felt I couldn't watch it again this time without sharing it. Watch / Read below to see: How to build a god. Sadlly, it's easier than we think it is... and it happens quicker than we realize it does. We build "gods" all the time... but rarely see them as that.




"The prophet Isaiah tells the story of a man who goes into the forest and cuts down a cedar tree. He chops up the tree and brings home the wood. He uses half of the chopped wood to build a fire to cook his food on. But then after, he takes the rest of the wood and builds an idol out of it. When he's done, he falls down and starts to worship it. He prays to his leftover firewood, "Deliver me. For you are my god."


Now that's a sad story. But it's a lot like my own. 


My buddy, Mike, built my guitar. Ten years ago he built it out of a solid piece of Mahogany. He gave it to me, and I played it for years and used it for a tool for leading at worship gatherings.


But one day I noticed myself looking down at this block of wood. This Mahogany board and saying, "You will deliver me."


Music will deliver me from obscurity by helping me gain exposure and prestige. It will deliver me from a sense of worthlessness by giving me an identity. Music will deliver me from poverty by helping me make a living. Music will be my god.


Isaiah responds to such foolishness with this, "All who fashion idols are nothing. And the things they delight in do not prophet. Their witnesses neither see nor know that they may be put to shame. Who fashions a god or casts an idol that is profitable for nothing? Behold, all his companions shall be put to shame, and the craftsmen are only human. Let them assemble, let them stand forth, they shall be terrified, they shall be put to shame together."


And after years of foolish, sinful, shameful idolatry, by the grace of God, He crushed that idol. He crushes it every day. But here's what is amazing to me, He didn't just crush it and take music away, He crushes it and redeems it. For the past few weeks when I'm with the band backstage before we leave the gathering, we've been praying and thanking God that He allows us to use music to worship Him when we've been guilty of using it to worship ourselves. He lets us worship Him with the very thing we once worshiped.


The story of the man worshiping the block of wood comes from Isaiah chapter 44. And here's how it ends. God says to His foolish, wicked, idolatrous people, "Remember these things, O Jacob and Israel, for you are My servants. I formed you. You are My servant. O Israel, you will not be forgotten by Me. I have blotted out your transgression like a cloud and your sin like midst. Return to Me, for I have redeemed you."


Mars Hill  Church
.

No comments:

Post a Comment