Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Like a gold ring in a pig's snout!

.
"A beautiful woman who lacks discretion is like a gold rig in a pig's snout." 


Not meaning to overkill a subject (which I am prone to do).................. But! Piggy-backing off of yesterday's post.... while I was studying something else entirely I ran across a verse that surprisingly had "taste" hidden inside it... It was interesting to me and a bit humorous. I thought I'd share.......


Ps 119:66-68 says, "Teach me good judgment and knowledge: for I have believed Thy commandments. Before I was afflicted I went astray: but now have I kept Thy word. Thou art good, and doest good; teach me Thy statutes."

The word judgment in "Teach me good judgment..." is ta'am in the Hebrew. It means:
  • taste!
  • judgement
  • decision
  • behavior
  • understanding
  • discretion
  • reason
  • flavor of food 


Wow. Teach me good judgment..... teach me good decisions..... teach me good behavior...... teach me good understanding..... teach me good discretion..... teach me good reason.......... teach me good taste!


Why?


Because, as the writer insinuates, I have strayed and was afflicted (because of my wandering), and since I've returned I have realized that You are good, You do good, Your commands are good, and I need Your statutes!


So... teach me good judgment, teach me good taste, teach me Your word, to keep me again from straying and from affliction, because, like I said, YOU ARE GOOD! (And can we add? I'm a wreck, a mess, wretched, I live in affliction from bad choices without it!) 


('Teach me good judgment, teach me good taste'...... Example (as in yesterday's blog) "Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed [happy!] is the man who takes refuge in Him!")


Ah.... we have great need to be taught! Let me give you a prime example of why. Proverbs 11:22 very vividly gives us the greatest visual to prove it. It says, "As a jewel in a swine's snout, so is a fair woman which is without discretion."  (Discretion here is our word ta'am, judgment, taste, etc.)


Another version reads, "Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful woman who shows no discretion."


Another, "A beautiful woman who lacks discretion is like a gold rig in a pig's snout."


Perhaps my favorite, "Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful face on an empty head."


A woman that hasn't been taught... A woman that hasn't "good taste".... A woman without good judgment, without good behavior, without good decisions, who lacks good reasoning, an empty-headed woman(!!!!)......... even a beautiful empty-headed woman........ is like a gold ring in the nose of a pig. It's ridiculous! It doesn't make sense! 

Okay............ so there's my humor for the day. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. I had better get back to my studying... and while at it, I'll ask to be taught by my Father and ask Him to give me a greater taste for more of Him and His wisdom!


Man, just looking at that picture, I think I've seen that look..... I know that look...... I've worn that look! And honestly, it's not a fascinatingly attractive look on any human body! Hmmm... What was it basically that God was saying? Basically: A beautiful woman without taste looks about as ridiculous as a pig sporting a gold ring in her snout. It's crazy... and perhaps a bit embarrassing!
.

5 comments:

  1. I imagine on those Sunday mornings when I'm getting ready and my spirit is anything but ready to worship, as I stand in front of my closet thinking I have nothing to wear, I take a little longer putting makeup on. Its like I'm hoping if I find the right outfit and put enough makeup on then I can cover the ugly in my spirit. I suppose thats a gold ring in a pig's snout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that, dear friend! Hilarious! I'll have to remember that and recognize the gold ring in my nose when I'm wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just remember that discretion is subjective - one woman's discretion is another's prudishness, cowardice, gullibility.
    The bible also tells us that women should keep silent in church, relying on their husbands for guidance. I Corinthians, 14.34,35.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Richard, discreation is a subjective characteristic held by both men and women. You used a piece of wisdom for your own platform that had nothing to do with putting on a Godly chatacter. The verse is about changing a worldly image of vanity and putting on grace, patience, love, acceptance and like the religious leaders who thought they were pure and dressed it was full of judgementalism and dead men's bones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Engagement rings are a true symbol of love. It's the time in your life when you're ready to take the next big step in your relationship and truly express your life-long commitment to one another. Engagement rings Pretoria's beautiful collection of engagement rings is here to inspire you. Everyone is unique. With our wide selection of engagement rings, you're sure to find the right ring for that special someone.

    ReplyDelete