Saturday, February 27, 2010

He keeps me from falling


Okay. So the verse of the day today in my in-box was this:

"When I said, "My foot is slipping,"
Your love, O LORD, supported me."
Psalm 94:18

Perhaps it was the timing? The moment? The hour of the day? But for some reason this verse sounded perfect! It so spoke to me. It sounds so sweet. So precious. So overwhelmingly comforting! Encouraging! AND, after a conversation in a parking lot to a restaurant with a friend last night before leaving, it seems to me to be fitting! For who doesn't NEED our Lord to support us in the very moment that our foot is slipping (tottering, shaking, being moved, becoming dislodged, fixing to drop, falling down, about to be overthrown!)... Or. Even when our mouths are about to! :)

I apologize in advance if I am about to sound sermony. But who can resist delving deeper in the words to a scripture like this?

On top of the definitions of "slipping" that I just listed, it also means:
  • to turn aside from right,
  • to incline,
  • to waver.
  • i.e. if ruins, in other words, threatens him.

Wow!

If my foot is about to turn aside from what's right, if my foot's next step is inclined to slip, if my foot is tempted to waver from its path, if ruin of some sort is threatening my step... then shall I not SAY ("When I said") and tell my Savior in hopes (assurance) that He will reach out to help and to save me! For when we cry out to Him... His love, His goodness, His kindness, His faithfulness is not only faithful to, but wants to help us in our need!

The KJV words it this way: "When I said, My foot slippeth; Thy mercy, O LORD, held me up."

Woe! When I said to the Lord that "my foot slippeth," HE held me up! I think I like that even more! His love supports me, it sustains me, it STAYS me(!!!! makes me to Stop!!!!), it strengthens me, it comforts me, it upholds or holds me up!

But get this. The very next verse behind this 18th one is another PERFECT! It says:

"When I said, My foot slippeth; Thy mercy, Oh LORD, held me up.
In the multitude of my thoughts within me Thy comforts delight my soul."


In the multitude of my thoughts within me!!

We do have a LOT of thinking, don't we? A multitude of thoughts mulling inside us! And we often have a LOT of thoughts and way too much thinking on things we ought not to be thinking on! Things that aggravate, infuriate, enrage, cause war, make sad, depress, madden, embitter.

In the multitude of my thoughts.... It's defined, of course, as thinking. But it's also defined as:
  • ambivalence (simultaneous and contradictory attitudes or feelings, a continual fluctuation as between one thing and its opposite)
  • division,
  • DIVIDED OPINION,
  • thoughts which DIVIDE and DISTRACT the mind and as it were to agitate it!
Therefore, in the multitude of my divided thinking, my contradictory attitudes and feelings, my continual fluctuation between God's way and mine, thoughts distracting my mind from doing right in its want to do wrong and so agitating me (my rendition of its meaning)...... in the middle of my minds division (its divided opinion), God's comforts delight my soul! His mercy stays me (stops me!) and supports and strengthens me to keep my slipping foot from its fall to its ruin.

Okay... so how's that for a Saturday morning's devo when I'm supposed to be studying? Please pardon my run away moment. I meant at first only to share my scripture with you. Yet once my fingers started typing, they seem to have a mind of their own. I don't know if all of that was as profound to you as it was to me. But I am always totally overwhelmed and enamored by how to the point and how well God's word speaks! Our hope is in Him and the help and healing from His word.

No comments:

Post a Comment