Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Yesterday came again today... and I didn't know what to do with it.


My "yesterday" knocked on my door today. Who would have known? Who would have thought? It’s been gone how many years now? How many years have passed since I’ve seen it? I didn't have it scheduled! I didn’t expect it! I wasn’t warned. I had no idea it was coming. My initial thinking when I saw it was, "What in the world are you doing here?" And I wondered: "What in the world am I to do with it?"

Invite it in? Ask how it's been? Tell it how much I've missed it? Throw fits with it for the pain that it's caused me? Laugh with it? Cry with it? Hug it? Kiss it? Kick it? Reminisce with it? Serve it supper? Let it stay the night? Sleep with it???.... Will I wake to find that it's still here waiting to be fed breakfast in the morning?

Yesterdays knock in all kinds of forms. In the shape of a person. A scene in a movie. A line in a book. A voice. A scent. A sound. A song. A name. A laugh. A cry. A telephone ring. A commercial. A lullaby. A picture. A wreck. An ocean. A……. Anything can prompt a Yesterday's visit.

Yesterdays are often painful. It can hurt. It can haunt. It can thrill. It can threaten. It can play havoc in your heart. And mind games to your imagination. It can move in and stay forever if you'll let it. It can consume your day and devour your tomorrows. It can plan your life. It can hope for your funeral.

I basically spent the weekend alone with my Yesterday. It wasn't planned. I didn't know it was coming. It just hopped in my car when I left for my trip and rode with me. It stayed with me in all the miles that I traveled. I let it in. Asked how it'd been. Told it how much I missed it. Threw fits with it for the pain that it had caused me. I laughed with it. Cried with it. Hugged it. Kissed it. Kicked it. Reminisced with its memory. Served it supper and let it stay the night. I slept with it. And found it there for breakfast in the morning.

But finally.

By late afternoon, I caught on to what I was doing (and what Yesterday was doing to me). I decided that I'd better get a grip and send Yesterday packing back to its moment... cause it'll steal my today, and take my tomorrow too if I'll let it. Yesterdays are past and shouldn't live here anymore, and I alone decide if it gets to.

What's your Yesterday?

What's that memory that every now and then comes calling again and wants to visit? A stronghold? Some sin? An old weakness? A guy? A girl? An addiction? An old want? An old won’t? A hatred? A bitterness? A resentment? An old misery? A longed for memory? A deeply despised one? Something horrible that happened? What skeletons stay tucked deep in your closet? What old buried thing is kept hidden there? What darling thing is treasured? What old guilt that still haunts? Or, old something that wants? Maybe something that’s not about you, but something you know about somebody else and you’ve never told it? What hurt still horrifies? What comes calling to beckon you? Better yet, what do you do with it when it comes calling?

It all goes back to that season thing mentioned in Ecclesiastes 3. There's a time for this… and a time for that..... but too often we forget the time and try to live in the wrong one. It won't work. A season past is just that. And a season that's not yet come... is just that too. We're often wanting to trade times, jump back to an old time, or jump forward to one that's not gotten here yet. Whoosh, how much we miss in our moment, from forgetting the time that we're in!

Okay, so I've synced my time back to our current day's moment. Shame on me for losing track and find myself in a past one. I'm back in my Today from my Yesterday's somewhere. Not to be wasted though, God taught me much in my time-travel. I knew He would. The travel to my past and back again has actually been a blessing. He's blown my mind in the things that He's said. I'm so enamored with how personal and into our business our Savior is. I love that my God would go with me to the place where I've gone and use it to heal, use it to teach, use it to change and transform me. He so touched me there!
 
To the God Who Is, the God Who Was, and the God Who Is To Come... I thank You for being The Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End! And the One that not only knows what to do with my days in whichever one I find myself in, but One that knows how to get me back to my Present when I've crossed the time-lines in my travel. :)

2 comments:

  1. awww.. i really like this one mother!! but uhhh whats your yesterday?? you kicked it? slept with it? and served it breakfast???? :)

    ReplyDelete