Friday, November 13, 2009

Who cares if it's pink?

Photobucket
My man-child just left for a retreat at Fort Faith (love the name) for the weekend. He drove up in the muddiest truck this side of the pit (I'll have to share that story with you later) dressed in the nastiest muddy boots to match it and wearing his camo jacket.... looking as red-neck as they come. But, might I tell you what proof I had that showed him completely comfortable in his masculinity? I stood beside him as he packed. And as I did I watched him smoosh two very, very, very pink towels into his bag. I asked if he wouldn't rather a different color, I could go get him some. "No," he answered, "I don't care if they're pink." "Oh well," I told him, "you won't have to worry about getting yours mixed up with someone else's." And we both laughed.

Hmmm... the difference between girls and boys? Girls, at that age (and maybe sometimes at ours), would have wanted new ones, pretty ones, specifically picked out to match their theme of the moment. He didn't take much thought of what went in his bag, he just wanted to make sure he had something to put on to wear when we got there. He didn't care if it matched. Didn't care how old it was. Didn't care if it had holes in it. Didn't care what name-brand. Didn't care if it was in style. Didn't care if it wasn't. Didn't care if it was wrinkled. Didn't care if anyone thought he looked cute in it. He didn't care to impress. That's not what he was going for.

Man, I wish I could learn to pack like he does!

Interestingly the way my son packed showed security and showed that he hadn't mixed up his reason for going. Sad to say, that is NOT how I pack! I wouldn't have recognized it so much without seeing him do it. I would have called myself secure before then. Confident, maybe? Not vain. But after seeing his packing and knowing how I pack, I'm embarrassed to admit it, but vanity fills my luggage!

I pack in 'over-sized' cases. I'm the over-packed traveler that the airline people dread to see coming. I'm the one that has to pay extra to bring along my load. I'm the one with the tag dangling off all the bags that she's dragging, "Heavy. Bend your knees. Assisted lift may be required"!

Photobucket

Woe! Do I seriously need to take all that I take with me when I go?

Really?

Do I truly need the dryer that blows my hair when it's wet? And the hot iron that irons it straight to keep it from waving? Do I have to take both the shampoo and the conditioner, and the gel to save it from frizzing? Is the hair spray totally necessary, wouldn't it be better if I didn't freeze it in place? Do I seriously need the make-up mirror that's been broken for years because of all of the places that it's traveled with me and the fact that it's OLD? Is a hand-mirror absolutely positively indispensable, can I truly not leave home without it? And maybe most of all, is it totally necessary to "make-up" while I'm gone; is it completely essential, do I truly need ALL OF THIS PAINT?

Will one pair of shoes truly not do? And if not, can I honestly not settle for two? Can not even one of my outfits not share the same shoes, or does each one require their own individual uniqueness? Do I need the earrings that specifically match, and all of my belts, and every single one of those bracelets? I could go on with my list...... but I will stop here with my wonder: What is it with my packing?

Ugh............. Okay, after thinking about it. Next time I'm traveling I'll do my dead-level best to let go of a pair of shoes or two; but I can't see how I can let go of my face, all of my paint is still going with me! :)

Like I said before, I'll have to say it again: Man, I wish I could learn to pack like he does!

Let's be honest though, aren't we silly in the things we take with us. Why do we pack such a load??? Not just physically; but mentally and spiritually as well. We're often "Heavy Load" packers! "Assisted lifting is often required".... by our friends, by our family, by any of those that will help carry us. We fail too often to "Bend our knees" when it's God alone that can help to unload us!

His yoke is easy..... His burden is light!

Matthew 11:28-30, "Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

Are you tired from all that you carry?

.

No comments:

Post a Comment