Friday, November 6, 2009

Mean doesn't look good on anybody!

Photobucket
Mad (as in angry) often turns a person mad (as in acting like an idiot, a lunatic, insane, crazy!).

Jesus tells us to "be angry and sin not" (Eph 4:26); but I'm afraid that in the throes of our mad we often had rather be angry and sin!

After all they wronged us first and it hurt! Why should they get away with it? "I didn't do anything wrong"...... That is, until they did..... And then we do!.... And we think ours is justified.

Nope! Never is! "Vengeance is Mine," saith the Lord. It's not ours to avenge (Rom 12:19)!

Try telling that to the vengeful. Try telling that to Mr. or Mrs. Mad (as in crazy because of anger).

I've been trying to talk to someone about someone who she says wronged her ten years ago. She told me she's forgiven her. But she still fusses about it, she still steams, she still threatens to send her the email she wrote telling her off and telling her just how she feels. She was bragging to me that she hasn't sent it yet. But I reminded her that true forgiveness doesn't hold onto it. It doesn't send it. It deletes.

She's furious with me for what I said. And now she won't talk to me.

We were having a pleasant conversation. It was good. But the minute I didn't agree with her she turned me off. And now, she's mad at me too.

When does our true character show? Is it when everything is going my way and I'm in a good mood so I'm sweet to you?

No.

It's when things don't.... when I've been wronged, offended, abused, insulted, persecuted, hurt... That's when my true character reveals out. When the heat is on. When the storms rage. When you're hurt by someone you love. When you're spit on by the enemy that hates you.

Where does "love your enemies" (Luke 6:27), "pray for those that despitefully use you" (Matt 5:44), "do good to them that hate you" (Luke 6:27) come into play? Only when we feel like it? Or mostly when we don't?

What is your character showing in the fury of your moment or the heat of your rage?

I'm not dogging my friend. I just want her to see.... and I wonder how often I don't?

For I fear I that Mad isn't only mean, but that mad has its own blindness. And when it's enraged it's hard to see past the fire that burns ferociously inside in hopes to trip us up from what God's told us. Mad finds fault. It blames. And sometimes its jaws clamp down and refuse to let go. Mad thinks it's right and is infuriated by all who dare to disagree. Mad is ferocious. Mad is mean. And mean's not a good color for anybody!

I'm trying to learn to run to my Savior the minute I'm offended. And every time I do there is not a time when I am not sorry for my own ugly coming out (if only just before Him) and asking Him for forgiveness for my own attitude and feelings.

None of us ever have room to point. Never have room to stone! We all have our own stuff. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" (John 8:7). Drop your rocks! For we all have sinned!

"Lord, forgive them for they know not what they do." Lord, forgive me, for I am sinful too!!!


.

No comments:

Post a Comment