Monday, November 15, 2010

What's your cheese?


I was sitting at my office on Thursday... thinking of Kimberly, the girl that we had just recently picked up from prison. And it was the weirdest thing. It was like all of the sudden I could see all these traps. Dozens of traps set everywhere! It's like I got a visual of the enemy saying, "She's out! Set the traps!"... in hopes that one of them would succeed and catch her in it!

And then a wondering voice said inside me, "What's your cheese?" What's the temptation that you (or I) will go after? I was so aggravated! So disgusted! So mad at the enemy!

I thought of how he'd trapped her before (drugs) and how many years she'd been trapped there (30!). And as hard as she would be trying, I knew he'd set traps everywhere... in hopes to trap her again! Drugs would be the 'cheese' he'd use.... but if that 'cheese' didn't succeed, he'd have some other options. All hoping to deceive, to trick, to trap... to rob, to kill, to steal, to destroy... not only her, but her friends, her kids, and her family!

I am so frustrated at how many the enemy has trapped with the same 'cheese'... like drinking or drugs or some substance! Or sex or greed or bitterness! It's amazing how many will so quickly still follow and fall for it after seeing what it's done to a whole world of others. I hate the deception in sin and the lies that it promises in hopes to ensnare us!

Christ died to set the captives free. And once we're freed from one prison, our enemy hates it and yells, "She's out! Set the traps!"... and sets traps all around us. What "cheese" is around you? What "cheese" do you see? What "cheese" will he set with hopes to seize?

"Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. RESIST HIM, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings" - 1 Pet 5:8-9.

"When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He tempt anyone; but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death." - Jam 1:13-15.

"Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to Your word... Turn my heart toward your statutes and not toward selfish gain.... Direct me in the path of Your commands, for there I find comfort.... Give me understanding, so that I may keep Your law and obey it with all my heart.... Teach me, LORD, the way of Your decrees, that I may follow it to the end" - Ps 119:37,36,35,34,33.

No comments:

Post a Comment