Friday, October 16, 2009

Missing Steve

It was a Monday morning.

The year 1995.

Fourteen years ago today.

My brother-in-law kissed my sister and told his three kids good-bye before walking out the door to leave for work,

No one knew then that'd it be his last time there.

That he'd never come back to their home again after he'd left it.

He didn't plan not to.

He had no idea that he wouldn't.

My sister didn't either.

Neither did his son or his two daughters.

If they had / if she did surely they'd have begged him to stay and held onto him to keep him from leaving.

He worked for my dad (a construction company) and went out to a job site. He pulled off onto the shoulder of Interstate 65 (a couple of miles from my own home) and parked his vehicle behind the man's truck that he had a meeting with. Steve got out and leaned against his driver's side door as they talked. They had been there about 20 minutes or so when the guy he was talking to raised his eyes looking over Steve's shoulder in horror. Steve turned to see what the guy was horrified over but never saw the large food truck that veered off the road and hit him.

Well, at least, we don't think he did. But it was that very truck that was used to send Steve from this life... right on into the next one.

It was a horrible scene!

The details too morbid.

A tragic day!

Most people won't have remembered this particular date.

But some?.... will never forget it.

We miss you, Steve, but can't even begin to fathom the Home that you traded this one for! We have so many stories we could tell, I wonder if you're privy to see them? But as much as we think we've got stories to share with you, I wonder at what all you would say if given the opportunity to tell us? Wow, it's too incredible for our brains to wrap around, and too beautiful for our visuals to imagine.

As the song sings, "This world is not my home I'm just a passing through...." Indeed, it's not! Thankfully, it's not. And it would do us good to continually remember it.

"I Can Only Imagine" is a very favorite of mine. I thought it appropriate to post here.

I Can Only Imagine
by: MercyMe

I can only imagine
What it will be like
When I walk
By Your side

I can only imagine
What my eyes will see
When Your face
Is before me

I can only imagine
I can only imagine

[Chorus:]

Surrounded by Your glory,
What will my heart feel?
Will I dance for You, Jesus?
Or in awe of You be still?
Will I stand in Your presence?
Or to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing hallelujah?
Will I be able to speak at all?

I can only imagine
I can only imagine
I can only imagine
When that day comes
When I find myself
Standing in the Son
I can only imagine
When all I will do
Is forever
Forever worship You
I can only imagine
I can only imagine

[Chorus]

I can only imagine

I can only imagine
When all I will do
Is forever, forever worship You
I can only imagine


No comments:

Post a Comment